The earliest Spanish recorded geographic recokoning of Milaor was made in 1591and located the settlement a quar ter league from the city of Nueva Caceres. According to the Spanish system of measurement, one league was equivalent to 4.2 miles. Thus from this system of reckoning Milaor was more than a mile away from Naga. Twenty-five years after, in 1621 the town was reported half
a league from the convent of San Francisco of Naga making it approx imately 2 miles away from the Naga convent. Although there was no re cord which suggested that a transfer of the settlement took place during this period.
A Spaniard named Antonio de Siguenza who spent a longer period residing in the region wrote an ex tensive description of the province of Camarines in 1823. In his account, he indicated the town of Milaor as" farther by 3/ 4 hour from the capital and is located at the bank of the Bicol river ." Its proximity to the river was in many ways a blessing but aiso brought enormous difficulties to its inhabitants. According to Siguenza, the frequent flooding caused by the swelling of the river brought enormous damage to plantation. The sediments of the river brought matters left by the floodwaters were among the causes of sickness which "take many to the grave." Less than half a century later, the location however re mained unchanged. In the 1865 Estado of the Franciscan Order, Milaor was described as:.
"located at 13 33 25 latitude in one beautiful plain prone to flooding at the bank of the Bikol river. It is founded on the east by the mission of Pili located at the mountain of Isarog and farther by three leagues. On the south-southeast by the town of Minalabag, at a distance of half a league. On the south-southwest Camaligan and on the northwest by the city of Caceres, bothfather by lw.lf a league."
It suggested therefore that Milaor had not undergone any shift in the original location of its settlements. Nevertheless, series of boundary changes were to take place from the mid dle until the last decades of the 19th century.